Monday, May 30, 2016

The Buckhorn Saloon and Museum

Every once in a while I like to step out of my normal and do something completely out of character. I would say The Buckhorn Saloon and Museum would be one of those experiences. I don't drink nor am I a big fan of trophy hunting. I saw this place the night before and it looked interesting from the outside but just a quick peek through the door and I said Nope! Not for me.

P1030859

That's when the old time barker at the front door got my attention. Now I'm no push over and probably a bit confrontational so he had some work to do. Actually he was so slick (I mean professional) he convinced me to give it a try. First I made the point that if I didn't enjoy the place he would give me my money back. I just got a big smile and "tickets are this way sir".

P1030928

He was pretty sure of himself. The first thing I took note of was it's not just an old fashioned bar. It's a restaurant. It was lunch time and there was a discount if you bought a museum ticket so why not. Well about two bites in, it was pretty obvious I was not going to be asking for a refund. Not with a clear conscience anyway. The food was simple but great tasting. 

P1030819

I may not be a big fan of dead critters but I am a fan of law enforcement. A ticket to the Buckhorn Museum gets you into the Texas Ranger Museum as well. I really had no idea of the history of the Texas Rangers or how they operated. Truly an exceptional group of individuals enforcing the law in under the most difficult of conditions and doing it famously. 

P1030840

Ok - critter time. The entire second floor is the most amazing collection of taxidermied animals imaginable. Some are over 100 years old. They have been collected from all over the world and beautifully displayed. I was able to set aside my feeling on how they got there to enjoy the magnificence of the nature on display.

P1030872


I spent quite a bit of time in the museum. I would never have a chance to be this close to most if not all these phenomenal creatures. There were other interesting exhibits as well. Enough for me to spend several hours. I would of course prefer they were not all hanging out on the walls but since they were, I thought it only right to show some respect and appreciation.

P1030854

On the way out, the barker asked if I gotten my moneys worth - with a knowing smile. So I took his picture. If not for him I would have completely bypassed this unique opportunity. I appreciate the reminder that my life is constantly improved by never missing a chance to explore the world.

I took many more photos [click here] to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment