Sunday, September 15, 2013

Someone Still Cares - St Michael's Cemetery - Pensacola

DSC_4018
St Michael's Cemetery


I think everyone wonders who will remember them when they are gone. St Michaels's Cemetery in Pensacola is old by Florida standards. It's interesting to read the head stones and get a sense of the people who built this town.

I took notice of this singular example honoring someone long gone. It stood out like a beacon across a sea of weathered head stones and sun burnt lawn.

I wondered who this person was so I did a few seconds of research. I quickly found this link.
 [click here]. You no longer need to actually walk among those who have passed to pay your respects. You can simply click online and send flowers. It seems to me to leave something missing. Visiting a grave site should be a more personal and tangible experience.  What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I forgot to mention this was one of those scenic spots I took my daughter to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of what makes a graveside visit memorable is the effort it takes to get there, the cemetery atmosphere and the quietude that allows you to remember the person whose grave you're visiting. Call me crazy, but I don't get how going online for a couple of minutes can match that???

    ReplyDelete