Saturday, September 7, 2013

Loxahatchee River

DSCF0109
Loxahatchee River


Generally in my life, when I've discovered something that captures my interest, I just go do it. I found out about the Loxahatchee River tour back in the '80s but only recently took the plunge.  Quite literally as I sunk my kayak and myself on the return trip attempting to cross this dam. On this particular day the water was low. When there is a stronger flow, water cascades over the dam and so do the boaters. The brave ones at least.

This is one of the truly unspoiled bits of South Florida. It is one of the more challenging kayak trips I've been on and there are a few alligators that may pop up to add to the thrill. There are also ancient cypress trees, twists and turns, obstructions, low hanging branches, and wildlife all around. This is one of the most memorable kayak trips and well worth the long wait to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment