Friday, November 20, 2015

Jupiter Lighthouse Revisited

The last time I visited the Jupiter Lighthouse to take photos was in 2012. I brought along my only quality camera, the Nikon D70 and the 18-70 mm lens that came with it.

[click here] to see that set. Now that I have all the time in the world I decided to go back with a newer camera and lens and try again.


DSC_0011

My Nikon D3100 with the Tamron 18-270 mm lens has been my go to camera for fairs and festivals. To find the complete set from this weeks shoot, [click here]. Honestly I don't know if I did any better than last time. I brought along a big flash which I struggled with right in the beginning so I went to the pop up. Also you have to go along with the tour so there is a limited amount of time to get a shot with no people in it. That and my never ending struggle with vertigo and fully open staircase lead me to be more cautious about tumbling down the stairs than setting a proper shot.

DSC_9971

I did time my visit perfectly to see the rainbow effect from the Fresnel lens cascading down the staircase but clouds were continuously shutting it off to tease me. You can get a small sense of this amazing effect from the photo below. Standing where I was in the moment the clouds peeled fully back, this rainbow traveled all the way to the ground floor. I managed to catch the fading glimmer as the group behind me began heading down and the clouds shut it off for the full descent.

DSC_9997

I had some goals for this visit. The staircase, the lenses, and the rainbow. Time was certainly a limiting factor but I did capture what I set out to and a bit more. I'm still waiting for the "must print and hang on the wall" shot. I do have another camera so maybe one day.

DSC_9947

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures of the lighthouse. I have only ever been there once but you really captured the beauty of it. Made me want to go back!

    ReplyDelete