Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Blowing Rocks Preserve - At High Tide This Time

It is fairly easy to check the tides. I have an ap on my phone in fact. But it is not always convenient to visit certain places at the exact right time. Now that I live relatively "around the corner" at 30 minutes away, and have completely free days,,,,, I have zero excuses to do this right.

DSC_0058

Blowing Rocks Preserve is a somewhat unique bit of Florida beach. Solid limestone rather than endless sand that comprises most of the Florida beaches. For the first time I've captured the waves actually blowing out of the holes that have been drilled into the hard rock over the last hundred thousand years. There is even a low whistling sound as the air is pushed out ahead of the waves.

DSC_0103

It's hard to tell from the photos but this was a very breezy and rainy day. I was forced to return to the car more than once because of showers.

DSC_0116

Even though the weather was not the best for my camera, it was perfect for this bit of beach. The surf was crashing rhythmically and spectacularly. Huge sprays of water misting across the beach. As the tide reached its high point, I was forced to head a bit inland. That's where I found this little guy. It's actually the biggest hermit crab I've ever seen.

DSC_0260

I like the photo below as it was storming right before I took it. You can see the angry clouds in the video below. I was about to leave but decided to wait out a downpour in the car. Moments later blue skies and 25 pelicans all in formation coasting at high speed down the beach.

DSC_0283

[click here] for the rest of my photos. Now that I have finally caught this spectacle with my camera, I think I will no longer be a stranger. There are not many completely empty beaches in Florida and on all my visits, this one has seldom had more than a few visitor. Next time I just want to sit on the rocks and let the water wash over me. 




3 comments:

  1. Great pictures. Though I would not recommend sitting on the rocks and letting the water wash over you...looks pretty violent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done. I don't think I've ever been to this area. Our eldest daughter used to snorkel in the Jupiter area a lot (when she was much younger!). Love those pelicans.

    Are you a Florida native? We've been in Florida about 28 years, most of which was in the Ft. Lauderdale area. But now, for several reasons, we're thinking of moving down to Port St. Lucie. Any thoughts? My email is: yanson2@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived mostly in the Fort Lauderdale area since '78 and now am glad to be gone. I live in the Stuart area now. Moved recently but my family has been here 15 years. Love it! If you want to retire and live an active life I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete