Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Mount Dora - Florida


Nothing says happy retirement like a mini vacation. I have had quite a few and many more planned in the upcoming months. Not all are worth writing home about. Especially the ones I've already done multiple times.

Now that my Disney Annual Pass has run out, I really wanted a total relax-ication. Away from the crowds, theme parks, roller coasters. Something peaceful and laid back. But with great food and something to occupy my time. I found that in Mount Dora.

I have been here before but with my daughter on one of those trips we took when she was in highschool. Not much more than a dinner and a sleep over. That was about 7 years ago.

This trip was more of an adult get-away with fine food, a boat trip, train ride, and almost a seaplane flight. Late planning fail on my part. Not to worry. I'm already looking into it for my next trip.

For the ultimate in convenience and old time charm, I stayed in the Lakeside Inn right on Lake Dora. The boat, train, and seaplane are right on the doorstep and all of downtown is just across the train tracks. The staff is the friendliest I've experienced in a long time and yes I made 10 separate trips to Disney in the last year so my standards are pretty high.



The biggest problem I had was picking a restaurant. That happened no less than 6 times and every time was a winner. We even found a great coffee/ice cream shop and a hidden away wine bar. There was live music scattered around the town but honestly I was not a fan of much of it. Still very enjoyable to sit and give a listen with a beer in hand and not a care in the world in my head. That was pretty much the goal of this trip and it was mission accomplished for 3 days.



While I was there I learned of a Steam Punk festival which I missed but I did attend the Rifles and Rails event. In talking with some of the Civil War re-enactors, I found there is a much larger event in my own area. There are events all through the year which will be bringing me back to Mount Dora.

One of the great things, all throughout our stay we had conversations with people we just met. No one was texting, they were talking. It's just one of those places where people put their phones down and just live. Probably why it's taken me so long to post in my blog. Oh - and stay for the sunset. It happens every night like clockwork and it is definitely something to write home about.












2 comments:

  1. This looks like a beautiful place and very peaceful. I can't do Disney. Just too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best times to visit Disney is the first week of December. Cool. No crowds. And not too far from Mount Dora.

    ReplyDelete