Monday, July 7, 2014

Supercon - 2014

Supercon at the Miami Beach Convention Center was my third comic book convention this year. I spent $8.00 to park, $30.00 at the gate for a one day admission. This event was a little more expensive than the last two, but a thousand times larger than both combined.


DSC_0537
Scarlett Rose Cosplay and Shaan Prime-Time Hogan
As
Katniss Everdeen and Cinna from Hunger Games: Catching Fire
My guide for the previous two events, Scarlett Rose Cosplay, was busy a good part of the day with photo shoots so I was pretty much on my own this time. Typically when I attend an event like this I spend a full day, meet a lot of people, shoot around 1,000 photos. Generally make a day of it.

DSC_0484
The Ox and friends

Even though this is my third Supercon, and it has moved to a much larger venue this year, I was still exceedingly claustrophobic. My problem. Not theirs. I actually do this event to get over my aversion to crowds. It's the people at these events that allow me to walk through the door and have such a great time. They are amazingly friendly and engaging. Everyone I came in contact with was pleasant and one of the few places can I go in South Florida were crowds of people are still polite.

DSC_0479
Unlaced Doll
With that said I only managed a quarter of the photos I normally take but I did spend a lot of time talking, meeting new people, checking out the artwork, the vendors, and seeing friends from previous events. Even so it is quite amazing the amount of things I did not see. I never made it to a panel discussion, the signing booths, the stage with what seemed non stop entertainment. Even if I spent another full day I think I would have not even made it to the costume contest.

DSC_0467
Pooka Machine

When I shoot at the fairs I try and include everyone or at least as many as possible. I barely even saw half this event. And figuring most of the cosplayers changed costumes several times over the 4 days I feel like I saw practically nothing. Memorable moments were watching tattoo flash created or the genius robot artwork from household items. I even saw a 3-D scanner that was taking full body scans of cosplayers to then print out as full color, 3-D figurines.

DSC_0465
Woah-Botz
One of my highlights was to speak to Tara Cardinal. I was privileged to attend a world premier screening of her movie "Legend of the Red Reaper" earlier in the year. That's where I met her for the first time. Her story of perseverance and sacrifice in creating her film was inspiring to me. And now I hear she wants to do it again. Truly an amazing woman.

DSC_0646
Tara Cardinal
 promoting her movie
Legend of the Red Reaper
As difficult as it was to navigate and shoot quality photos for your enjoyment, I managed a few. To see them [click here]

No comments:

Post a Comment