Thursday, December 14, 2017

Pigeon Forge, TN

I would like to think it was just a few years since I last visited Pigeon Forge but it's been a decade or more. To be perfectly fair, I have never really visited Pigeon Forge. Only Dollywood. And that was just a few day trips. My first visit was in the late 80's so I was was quite amazed at the changes.

P1060094

Since I'm a big believer in doing the most I can on my travels, I started off with booking a room in Margeritaville Island Hotel. Was it expensive? - Oh hell yeah. Was it worth it? Absolutely! I booked very late and literally got the last room available so no discount but even so - I made the most of the amenities. The location alone had so much to do I could have just stayed right where I was. But what fun would that be.

Just down the road was the Titanic Exhibit. I've seen many a documentary and a famous movie about the Titanic but there was still so much to learn and see. I don't want to give much away but there is an Iceburg inside you can touch and a model of the seafloor where the Titanic rests that is as big as a tennis court. So many interactive exhibits you can spend a half a day experiencing them.

P1060083

In the same area as the hotel I found this playhouse. Since I had no idea it was there I had no reservation. To the rescue came the concierge at Margaritaville. Not only did she get us a ticket for the same day we rolled into town, she got us front row. No extra charge. Considering it was a full house I was more than a little impressed. Even more impressive was the show. Nothing like the Stampede - Dolly's other famous show - but I think I prefered this one.

P1060086

The main reason for this trip was to re-visit Dollywood. I am a huge roller coaster fan. My friend is not. Dollywood is the perfect place for us. There is a whole new crop of coasters since my last visit but also the grist mill, Gazillion Bubble show (a must see), and various bands that just pop up all thru the day. I even toured the Dolly Parton Museum - first time. I am still blown away by her accomplishments and the way she gives back to her community.

P1060126

I ran out of time in the day to enjoy this particular coaster. A return trip will be in my near future. I may need to schedule a two day trip to squeeze everything in.

P1060128

I did many more things on this trip than I've written about. The Island has so much to see and do like the Great Smoky Mountain Wheel, food, shops, bands, and a water and light show every night. I did as many as possible in a 3 day visit. Yep - I may need to book a full week next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment